The “Madonna with Child” pilgrimage
The cluniac Basilica of Our Lady-Of-Thierenbach was supposedly founded in 1125 after the miraculous cure of a young man from Soultz, who was suffering from an incurable disease. He had received the Virgin’s Mary blessing after having prayed for a cure in a part of the church which exists to this very day. Historians claim that the priory was founded in the 12th century. The church was then enlarged in the 15th century as the pilgrimages started. During the course of the centuries, the priory experienced an unfortunate series of events (many successive wars). The current Baroque church, consecrated in 1731, was built by architect Peter Thumb. Its sumptuous interior is impressive, especially the sculpture of the Pietà and the hundreds of painted votive pictures which range from the 17th century to today. Thierenbach is a traditional pilgrimage destination. Hundreds of thousands of them participate in the celebrations which take place every year. The Basilica of Our Lady-Of-Thierenbach is located six kilometres from Guebwiller on the Jacob Path, just a stone’s throw away from the Weinstraße, Höhenstrasse and the Roman Road.