The Beuggen castle is idyllically situated on the river Rhine east of Rheinfelden (Baden) and can be easily reached by train, road as well as via bicycle and hiking trails. Its varied and legendary history starts in the 13th century. The semi-circular arrangement around the stately castle with the castle church in its centre is the oldest still preserved commandery of the Deutschritter Order, which resided here for more than 560 years. This order of knights was founded during the crusades in 1190 for the support and protection of the pilgrims in the Holy Land. Later, it played a leading role in colonising and Christianising the areas east of the rivers Elbe and Saale (Deutschorden State). In the course of secularisation, the Beuggen castle became the property of the Grand Duchy of Baden 1806. Here, at the river Rhine, it is speculated that Kaspar Hauser, the unwelcomed heir of Baden, was hidden for some time.
The palace complex has been used several times over the last two centuries and changed hands several times. From 1954 to 2016 it belonged to the Protestant Church and was used as a meeting place. Meanwhile, the plant is privately owned and has been converted into a hotel.