St. Landelin and the healing spring
A large pilgrims church now stands on the spot where the Irish hermit and missionary Landelin settled in the 7th century. According to the legend ferocious hunting dogs became docile in his presence, and were henceforth unable to hunt. One of the huntsman murdered Landelin to free themselves of his magic. Out of the blood soaked ground sprang forth five springs whose water worked wonders. Shortly after his martyrdom people started venerating the holy man. Bishop Eddo of Strasbourg established a monastery at Ethenheim. The Abbey prospered through the baroque period before succumbing to the wave of secularisation in 1803. The buildings were finally destroyed in 1865. On the Sunday following St Landelins day, the 22nd of September, the holy service is followed by a mounted procession carrying an embossed bust of St Landelin, dating from 1506. The springs by the church are still central to the pilgrimage and many take their water home with them.